Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lester MG HRO 33
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2009jamesb

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  13:25:43  Show Profile
I am trying to locate a Lester MG L1 Magna that my father used to race in the 1950's it is on the database here No. 3390 and the last known owner was Hiro Nishio in Japan.

Does anyone know where the car is now or who owns it?

I have pictures of my father racing it in 1954 and a race program from Goodwood with his entry.

Westbury

United Kingdom
1964 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  13:52:09  Show Profile

Hello, James.
I was very interested to see your ‘topic’ regarding your father’s Lester bodied ‘L’ type. ( I have a Lester bodied ‘NA’ Reg. No. AYT 197.)

Have you seen the book ‘Harry Lester, His Cars & The Monkey Stable?’ It was written and published a couple of years ago by Stewart Penfound.

On page 133 there is reference to an ‘L’ type (L O 610) Reg. No. MJ 6190.

It is stated that, ‘ It currently resides in Somerset, owned by Stephen Hill.

Hope that is of some help in your search.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1964 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  14:10:18  Show Profile
Hello again, James,

Just realised my mistake !

Yes, have just found the entry in the same book, page 128.

Current owner now shown as a Mr Tajima, Japan. (This was at the time of publication of the book in 2015.)

Sorry for previous information.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

2009jamesb

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  14:22:24  Show Profile
Hi Chris

Thanks for the info, the chassis number of HRO 33 is L 0274 and apparently was the second car built by Harry Lester,

this is a picture of my father at Goodwood in 1954!

James
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  16:43:29  Show Profile
This is the car that for many years was , l think , on a second hand car lot in Ewloe , North Wales.
Used to see it frequently on our way to the North Wales coast in the 1950s / 60s.
Story was that the dealer was either not prepared to sell it or the asking price was very high.
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2018 :  17:32:24  Show Profile
Yes, Ray, I also recall having seen it in the forecourt of a garage in Ewloe on several occasions, also when travelling to Wales. I had not realised that it was one of the Lester cars, but my memory of it is in line with the picture - my Triple- M interest was latent from an early age!
Coincidentally, some years later I owned AYT 197, the Lester bodied NA Magnette, which competed so successfully in the early post war period.

Powerplus.

Edited by - powerplus on 31/01/2018 17:34:06
Go to Top of Page

2009jamesb

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  09:50:00  Show Profile
Does anyone know if there is a historic MG car club in Japan or any other way to contact Mr Tajima?

James
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1483 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  10:31:36  Show Profile
James. The best person to talk to is Stewart Penfound who has done a lot of research into Harry Lester and his cars. Stewart's email address is <stewart.penfound@btinternet.com>. I know that he would be very interested to see any photographs and other documents which you might have.

Also, Westbury - is your car really a Lester bodied car ? My understanding is that the body was made by Lionel Leonard himself apart from the cowl or nose cone. This was made by Harry Lester but I have been told that Leonard never paid Lester for it as he said that it caused the car to overheat. Whether it did or not, I don't know but without doubt in Leonard's hands it put up some quite remarkable performances.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  10:33:46  Show Profile
Hello James,

You could probably do no better than to use the resources of our very own MG Car Club to contact the affiliated club in Japan! Try http://www.mgcc.co.uk/row/rest-of-the-world-contact-details/

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

2009jamesb

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  10:43:53  Show Profile
I'm not sure of the maker of the body so am happy to be educated, I will ask my father at the weekend if the car overheated, and thanks for the contact details I will try all avenues.

James
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1483 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  11:06:08  Show Profile
James. My comment about the dodgy nose cone referred to the N Special, AYT197 now owned by "Westbury" - not your father's old car.

Colin B..
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1964 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  12:44:22  Show Profile

Hello Colin and fellow enthusiasts !

Thanks for your comments regarding AYT 197. Indeed the car was highly successful during Lionel Leonard’s ownership but even more so when he sold the car to his friend, Cliff Davis ,about 1950. The successes had led to a full page report in Motor Sport under ‘Rumblings’ inwhich the car is described as ‘ this astonishing MG’. ( I have now amassed quite a file on this car’s competition history but cannot find anything about the car between 1957 and 1965, can anyone help?)

The car still carries the Lester body and has a brass plate on the dash saying so. I think, Colin, you may be thinking of the body which Leonard originally constructed during the war, having removed the original four seater body. (. At the very least, I think it was heavily modified by Harry Lester. )

The tail on this car appears to be very similar to other Lester cars and foregive me for saying so but in my and many other’s opinion,not particularly attractive.

I am restoring an original ‘NE ‘ tail to replace the Lester one. The present radiator cowl was a replacement one which was fitted following a rather nasty shunt by Leonard, I think at Prescott. ( This car broke the class record there a number of times.) Again, in my opinion, not attractive and I have plans to replace that with a sloping one to the same pattern as before.

Best regards,and with due apologies to James for my intrusion.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  15:24:06  Show Profile

Photo from US Air Force officer stationed in England in the '50s. Details unknown.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000