Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New MMM owner J3201 - OD6819
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  18:37:38  Show Profile
Hello,

I recently purchased MGJ2 J3201 and have added my name to the register. This looks like a wonderful group for research and restoration help, and I am very happy to be here. My first step is to recreate a comprehensive owner history for the vehicle. Thanks to the register, I now know that the car was owned by Stanley Miller Cottrell of Cullompton, Devon with an original registration of OD 6819. I have managed to track down some of his family members and they are collecting more information for me. I also know that the car moved from England to Australia, and then to Hong Kong, before coming to the US thanks to documents with the car, and the daughter of the Hong Kong/USA owner of the car. I have a big hole in who owned the car in Australia and was wondering if anyone has further information on OD 6819. Thanks again,

Brent

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  18:47:58  Show Profile
That is interesting in a sideways way!

I own OD 6791, J3772, also bought by a resident of Devon, Paignton (Miss E V Watson) and registered on 1 Sept 1933. Its first competitive appearance was at the end of September that year.

It would be interesting to know if you have the name of the supplying garage.

Enjoy the car, they are great fun, and easy to work on.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  18:53:42  Show Profile
Hello Ian, I do have that info:

1933, May 22 - Heard Bros Dealership, Bideford, Devon
1933, Sept 6 - Registered to S.M. Cottrell who was 21 years old and a farmer.

Not sure mine has any competitive history but I'm sure a 21 year old didn't hold back on the spirited drive!
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  20:18:19  Show Profile
Hello and welcome Brent.
This really is a great group and really is a big help and source of encouragement
Enjoy your J2
Colin

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2018 :  23:36:46  Show Profile
Hello Brent,
Are you able to bracket the years that your J2 was in Australia?
I did not spot it on my old Australian list.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  02:08:03  Show Profile
Matthew, thanks for your help. I don't know when it left England but most likely after WWII. I have documentation of the J2 arriving in Hong Kong in 1975. Unfortunately, that is all I have for that time period.

Brent
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  07:24:40  Show Profile
OK, I will keep a watch out for it.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  18:53:54  Show Profile

Hello Brent.

Congratulations on your ownership of J3201.

J3201 is listed in the 1982 MMM Register , and also in the Register of 1961-1986.

1982:
J3201. MMM Register No. 1107.
Engine No. 855B. Reg. OD 6819.
Owner.J.G. Buchanan.
Hydraulic Brakes.

1982 yearbook also lists address' of owners,
unfortunately no address is listed for Buchanan.

1961-1986 and also 1996 Register.
J3201 MMM Reg. No. 1107.
Engine. 855B.
Owner. Warren D. Sievy. U.S.A.
Hydraulic Brakes.

The car is not listed in either of the J2 books by Mike Hawke.

Good luck with further research on the history of the car. Have fun!

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2018 :  20:30:21  Show Profile
Brian,

Thank you very much for this information. I have a few scraps of paper with Buchanan's name and a reference to a Singapore registration so that might help me tie something together. Is the 1961 - 1986 register just a way of saying that Sievy was listed as owner within this time frame and not the entire 61 - 86 time frame? Hopefully that makes sense. It does have hydraulic brakes still.

Brent
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2018 :  15:58:17  Show Profile
Thanks in part to those who have replied to this thread and a new package of old documentation discovered by the previous owner, I have successfully debunked the claim that J3201 was in Australia. It was not! I can now confirm that John G. Buchanan restored the car in England in the late 1960s with Caffyns Ltd in Kent England and then took it to Northern Italy. I now have a fascinating news clipping of a vintage race he "won" at Monza around 1970. Is anyone familiar with a vintage race called "Coppa Monza" from that time?

Brent
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2018 :  18:01:24  Show Profile
Afternoon Brent,
There is no mention of the car in either of Mike Hawkes books as he discovered very little about it & his notes are the same as those held by the Register. He lists "by 1970" for Buchanan "Italy & New York", then as owned by Sievy in 1985". The trail went cold with Warren Sievy for many years (unless Lew & the NAMMMR can shed any further light).
Research is all part of the fun & helps while away those Winter evenings.
All the best,

JH
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2018 :  15:34:16  Show Profile
I am making very good progress on compiling a comprehensive history for J3201. The internet is proving very helpful, as I am now in contact with the original owner's family. I am curious if there is a way to obtain a scan from the original factory records. I have the data from the club, but wondered if a scan of the factory record is available?

Thank you,

-Brent
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  06:58:32  Show Profile
Brent, the chassis files, if any remain, will be available from MGCC main office for a small fee. The Register only has access to a small summary of this, but any letters, works notes etc. are not available without going direct to head office.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  14:30:11  Show Profile
Thank you Graham. I have contacted Kimber House for the information.

Cheers,

Brent
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  12:51:12  Show Profile
A friend, and relative of the first owner lives in our village, the next one to Kentisbeare, where Stanley Miller Cottrell lived.
The car was purchased by Stanley's aunt, Alice Miller who had a little shop in the Square in Kentisbeare. Stanley would have been 23 years old.
Stanley was the eldest of three boys of Jesse and Edna Laura Cottrell (nee Millar), Stanley, Herbert and Leslie Gerald, known as Gerald. Gerald is the only one left, born 7 December 1924. Gerald remembers the car being red, but does not remember riding in it.
I cannot find any references to him trialling the car in "Cowbourne".

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2018 :  14:11:56  Show Profile
Mike D,

Thank you very much for this information. I have sent you a direct message with some details I have been given by another relative of Stanley. This is very helpful.

-Brent
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000