Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L 0533
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  16:44:23  Show Profile

Hello, Rob.
Sorry, I can’t remember anything specifically about your car. Problem is, I had two L types at the same time about 1972/ 74 which has caused confusion and I haven’t kept any records of them. ( A long time ago and numerous house moves in various parts of the country hasn’t helped !)
One car I bought from Kegworth (this was a rolling chassis which, I think was painted red ) and then I bought the second one as a pile of bits from an old friend in York. I then bought an incomplete J2 to obtain the body (painted white) to enable me to build a replica L2 which was always my intention.( Powerplus bought the rolling J2 chassis from me some time later from which he built a rather nice J4 replica.) One of the L type chassis I shortened as per the L2 and I rebuilt this car into a nice rolling chassis which I painted green, has your chassis been shortened and is there any trace of green ? Work on this car came to a halt when about 1973 I exchanged one of the L types for a KN chassis and bits to build a K3 copy/ replica. Later, I then sold the second L type ( whichever one it was) to help finance the K type build. The only thing I remember about that one is it went to a buyer in London.

Best wishes,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  20:42:58  Show Profile

Hello, again,Rob.

Just noticed in your last post that your chassis is the longer L1 so obviously my green painted shortened one isn’t that one. I’m still not 100% sure but I suspect your L type is the second one which I sold to an unknown chap in London. I didn’t meet him, he sent someone with a trailer to collect it. The car was dismantled and didn’t have a body. I think I have a photograph somewhere of the ‘car’ in pieces on the trailer just before it left my home ,I will try to find it, not that it will prove anything.

Harry Crutchley who was the Secretary for the Octagon Car Club contacted me a few years ago and said that one of the L types (not known which one ) I owned had been a Police Car in Preston, I believe. That information may be worth pursuing.
Cheers,
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2018 :  21:06:37  Show Profile
L0533

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your recollections all the info is useful in building the history.
Can I assume that “Kegworth” is a motor dealer, and “Powerplus” the same?
Would be nice to have the name of the “old friend in York” to add to the list of possible owners if you are prepared to share it.
I see the car passed through Charles Allen & Son, motor dealers in 1848 when it was sold to R E Reynolds.
If you manage to find the photo of the car on the trailer, it would be nice to see it.

Regards Rob

PS. Timothy asked for my email which I failed send, so here it is..
tabor2@live.com.au
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2018 :  21:46:45  Show Profile
I'm curious - was there any difference in the length of the L1 and the L2 chassis other than the extension of the side rails behind the rear cross tube on the L1?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2018 :  17:31:14  Show Profile
Hello, Simon.

I have just seen your query. The only difference between the lengths of the L1 and L2 chassis is the L2 frame had the side rails cut off just behind the cross tube which carried the spring trunnions as you suspected. The end of the frame was finished off by welding flat steel plates across the open face.

Cheers,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2018 :  17:44:14  Show Profile

Hello, Rob.

Kegworth is a place in Leicestershire, England. ‘Powerplus’ is the name of a MMM subscriber, who’s identity can be seen if you click on one of his recent
posts here. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with my friend in York.

I am still looking for the photograph, I will post it on here when I find it or can Email to you.

Best wishes,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2018 :  18:30:35  Show Profile
Rob,
I have not heard from you?.Am I to presume you received the receipt and photographs?.
Tim.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2018 :  21:18:42  Show Profile

L0533

Hi Tim,
Yes I have received the receipt and photos and was thrilled to receive them as it is the earliest info I have on the car. Sorry for delay in reply but can’t thank you enough. I have tried to attach a photo but not sure if will work.
If the photo turns out it is me at our final VSCCA meeting of the year in suitable Christmas attire showing the receipt to other club members, several of whom are MMM owners.
Interestingly, the receipt is dated 11/12/1948. It arrived in my letter box on 11/12/2018 which is exactly 70 years to the day when it was made out.
An interesting point on the receipt is that is says the car was first first registered 5/5/1937. The car is, as far as I know, is a 1933 model so why the gap before first rego?
There is an L type in Victoria, Aust, which was built at the same time as mine and I an currently waiting for some dates of production as the owner has his vehicles early details.
Thanks again Tim.
Regards Rob
Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2018 :  18:57:51  Show Profile
Rob,
I am very pleased to see you received the receipt.The post delivery date is an amazing coincidence.
Yes the photograph arrived and it's great to see the receipt in your hands where it belongs.As a matter of interest the full name of the buyer was Robert Edward Reynolds nickname Tim,who was a pilot with the RAF during the War and was awarded the DFC.
His widow is now 98.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2018 :  04:26:31  Show Profile
L0533

Seeking information.

I am now aware that my car, L0533, along with L0532,
L0534 and L0535 were all "issued" on 8/9/1933.I am assuming that "issued" in this case means that the cars had completed the building stage and were passed on the the Sales section, would that be correct?
I am also now aware, thanks to Timothy Edwards passing on the 1948 invoice that my car was first registered 5/5/1937, seems to me a long time from when it was initially ready to sell.
By letter dated 10/10/1983 I was advised by Peter Tipton, General Sec. of the MG Car Club that "the chassis file No. L0533 is not available from this office as it went missing before the files were transferred to Boston".
It has been suggested to me that my car, and perhaps others, could have been sent individually or as a batch to another area such as the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands or Ireland for initial sale and registration and then when returned to England it was then "first registered" as is indicated in the 1948 sales receipt. It was further suggested that I would need to find out which County registration records were consolidated into the centralized English registration data base and that the MGCC office at Abingdon might know.
Can anyone please give me a contact and email address so that I can follow this up. Any other useful thoughts would also be appreciated.
Thank you and Compliments of the Season to fellow MMM owners wherever you are.

Rob Everett
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2018 :  07:41:24  Show Profile
Rob,

Your car was originally registered in Maidstone, Kent.

Kent County Council holds the Registers from 1904 to 1974.

The information available will probably be limited to a one page schedule which gives a list of registration marks, either side of EKN 817, and the name of the original owner.

I can find out for you on Monday as long as they haven't packed up early for Christmas holidays.

JOHN JAMES DVLA representative MG Octagon Car Club.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2018 :  20:31:59  Show Profile
L0533

Thanks John, anything you obtain would be appreciated.

Regards ..Rob
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2018 :  10:27:45  Show Profile
Hello Rob,

Please see the following from Kent County Council Archives Section.

I have e-mailed the Archivist for confirmation that he/she has a copy of the record for registration mark EKN 817.

It will be then up to you whether or not you wish to pay £12 for the letter of confirmation.

Historic vehicle registration

We have most of the initial vehicle licence records for Maidstone, Kent dating from 1903 to 1974. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) took over from that point.

The majority of our records only show the registration number, the date of registration and the first owner.

Email archives@kent.gov.uk to see if we have a record of your vehicle.

The cost of a copy of the letter of confirmation of the vehicle registration details is £12.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2018 :  12:24:13  Show Profile
Hello (again) Rob,

I have now heard back from the Archivist. The cost has now increased to £14.95. She has explained the reason for this. Rather than clog up the Forum I have forwarded her e-mail to you.

Kind Regards, JOHN
Go to Top of Page

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  07:18:32  Show Profile
L0533

Thanks John. Have been in contact with the Archivist and have received the necessary forms which will be returned to them when completed along with credit card details.
Will let you know the outcome but notice that I must be careful in doing this as, “ the item is only to be used for my private, non commercial use and not for ciculation or reproduction, without seeking appropriate permission”. This seems to be very reasonable to me.
The speed and thoroughness which my request for information from the Archivist at Kent County Council has been impressive.

Regards...Rob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000