Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L 0533
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2019 :  06:49:55  Show Profile
L0533

Just an update on registration and the hope that someone can advise on “Q” registration.

Following advice from John (James) on contact details for Kent County Council concerning registration I have now received information from them that my car was registered as EKN817 on 4 Mar 1938 and I now have the name of another early owner. Along with that information was a note in the remarks column which said “Imported under QA 5665”. I am not quite sure what this means,however, I am of the opinion that the car had the QA rego prior to being issued with the EKN?

My car, along with L0532, L0534 & L0535 were all “issued” (I assume this to mean building finished and ready for sale) on 8/9/33.

There is a long gap between 1933 and 1938 for the car to be unregistered.
The original sales receipt that I received from Tim Edwards dated 11/12/1948 states that the car was first registered EKN817 on 5/5/37 which disagrees with Kent County Council, who I am inclined to think are correct.

If anyone has any information on “Q” registration or any thoughts on how these rego gaps may be explained I would be grateful.

Chris (Westbury) advised earlier that one his L types, he did not know which one, had reputedly been a Police car in Preston. That may or may not be be my car but I was wondering that if the Police took a vehicle from any manufacturer would they use their own Police registration numbers? I would see this as making a gap in the registration chain.

Regards..........Rob Everett
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2019 :  18:49:48  Show Profile

Rob.

The two letter registration marks beginning with "Q" in Great Britain were used for
"Vehicles temporarily imported from abroad"

Quote from Philip Riden's book on registration numbers.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Everett

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  06:22:45  Show Profile
LO533

Thanks Brian that's a start. The next step will be to find where it was imported from and where is was to be returned to.

Regards.....Rob
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  15:01:14  Show Profile
Q plates were also used for cars of unproven ancestry.

An example would be a "bitsa" made from assorted components, but not from a specific manufacturer - such as say a trials car that was used on the public highway.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  15:45:18  Show Profile
What I should also have said was that Q plates were issued where the owner could not prove the age of the vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  19:48:08  Show Profile
Tony, Q plates were a relatively modern thing. They came in around 70s/80s so wouldn't apply in this case. They also were just a single Q
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  22:09:39  Show Profile
They were certainly in in the 60's I had a friend who imported a Triumph Herald, I think from the USA and that had a Q plate.
In fact it was Q as a suffix i.e. ??? ??? Q

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 28/02/2019 22:11:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000