Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Christmas Present
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  18:06:35  Show Profile

A Merry Christmas to All.

Excuse me, I know that this isn't M.G. related, but in lieu of the train set that you probably aren't going to get this year allow me to post this clip of the Southwestern Chief heading up to Chicago from L.A. It makes a stop in my town of Lawrence, Kansas each morning at 5:30am. It's shown here, having just departed, east of town.

This clip I think is very well done, both visually and audibly. Turn the volume UP and enjoy the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7QjP-yBOAI&feature=related

ALL ABOARD who's going aboard!!!

Brian.

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  18:21:01  Show Profile
Hello Brian,

Many thanks for the interesting and raucous clip.

Yours truly drives a steam loco over here in the UK - perhaps not so boisterous in tone, but still a lot of fun, considering the 1 in 13 gradient we have. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQwA6wCzSM

Seasonal good wishes to all.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  19:43:50  Show Profile

Thanks for the steam link, Dick. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

To make it of M.G. interest, here's a couple of shots when I drove the PA over the top of Colorado to a GoF meet in Durango a few years back. To make it special they set fires to the mountains in the region , visable from the smokey township, which made it too close for comfort.

Shown;

The Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway. A Climb from 6512 to 9318 feet.

Cheers,

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  23:36:23  Show Profile
brilliant footage sound, do you mind if i nick the sound for a track i have in mind (music). Cheers, merry xmas thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2009 :  02:30:11  Show Profile

Hi Phil.

I'm being presumptuous in thinking you were referring to the clip I posted, solely because it resembles Peace and War and Peace and has more bells and whistles and thunder (Bat out of Hell) than Bob's rendition. Though I did enjoy his.

Sorry, the clip isn't mine. Foul weather has hit us hard here in the Midwest and I'm hunkered down for a few days enjoying my life on You Tube. Tomorrow I just might get a life for a Christmas present.

I can't get enough of these Amtrak views and sounds. Even in the area here when the bells sound and the barriers begin to drop I always enjoy the time-space to watch the trains. Lots of people get annoyed with the delays, especially on the goods/freight trains of which there are plenty, for me it's smilin' time and I roll down the windows and scream and shout. It's bloody magic!

The fellow who did the filming must be a local guy here. On You Tube he uses docnelsontrain as a non deplume. Some where/how on the site you can contact him, if you care to.

Here's another, not by him but the weather is similar as of today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjMAFLi8iQ

OK, I promise, no more holiday photos for another year......

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1549 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2009 :  11:42:58  Show Profile
Hi Brian, many thanks for the YouTube clips, but can't see your PA flickr photos.
Best wishes for the Festive Season.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2009 :  16:19:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Kelly

A Merry Christmas to All.

Excuse me, I know that this isn't M.G. related, but in lieu of the train set that you probably aren't going to get this year ..............

Brian.

Well what do you know, I actually got that train set which I never ever expected

My youngest son (split-screen VW van nut) and I have been avid watchers of James May's Toy Story programmes. Tonight it's time for the model railway programme. And my present is the Flying Scotsman train which I understand he uses in his programme.

So 7pm today. Don't forget

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  10:07:40  Show Profile
Apart from MG's (my first car was a PA in 1955!) I am also interested in the railway scene. I worked for the (government-owned) South Australian Railways from 1954 to 1978 (we are a "railway" family as was that of my wife, although in India), interspersed in the early 1960's with a short time working for British Rail in the UK. I spent approx 10 years at our Islington Workshops where (before my time) we built probably the largest conventional steam locomotives in the world (a couple of types weighed over 220 tons) and then the first diesels in Australia. Regrettably superseded locos were generally cut up but there are several survivors in our National Railway Museum and a few are still (just) running.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  16:54:24  Show Profile
I got my son a model railway for his birthday - yes, his actual birthday.
Went to see the good wife and inspect the new arrival and on my way back to work [that's how it was done in those days] bought him [us] his railway set - still got it in the attic 40 years later.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  22:12:37  Show Profile

Firstly, I apologise to Dick for referring to him as "Bob", for some unknown reason, in my second posting.

Here's one more M.G.-Train related photo. I must admit I was foolish not to purchase this photo when I saw it listed. Though I did manage to get a poor copy of it. Unfortunately I can't identify the number on the J2 with the poor quality copy.

This photo was later discussed within the NAMMMR. (Fall 2001 Newsletter.)The scene is most likely L.A. California, 1933. The Royal Scot, 6100 visited North America for the Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago. It covered 11,194 miles on U.S. and Canadian rail lines during the visit. The head lamp being a U.S. addition.

Note; Not to be confused with The Flying Scotsman.

Congratulations Peter, I hope you get many miles of fun out of your present.

I recall it was Chris Knowlan noticing that the J2 sported Q-Type brake drums. Nothing else is known of the car or it's whereabouts, I believe.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  23:34:48  Show Profile
Could this car have been a studio car? A J2 features prominently in the Gay Divorc?e with Fred Astaire chasing Ginger Rogers in it. Movie was in 33 or 34.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  16:50:45  Show Profile
Wasn't there something at the time about this not actually being the real loco 6100. The real loco was not well - so the number plates were switched with another of the same class.
After all the colonials wouldn't have noticed the change!!
No parallels, of course, with car manufacturers doing the same trick with racing cars!!!
I once knew an M-type owner who had 3 M-types - and which ever was running at the time had the number plates that fitted the tax disc.
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  19:03:29  Show Profile
Just managed to find time to view the youtube links. All our Christmas visitors departed yesterday evening. So just recovering from the celebrations with two young grandchildren to keep us all busy. Very interesting footage, Brian and Dick. I knew that you were 'into' steam railways Dick but did not appreciate that you are an engine driver.

Today I have been back to Papplewick pumping station -
http://www.papplewickpumpingstation.co.uk/ a fantastic example of Victorian engineering. and the facilities are still complete.

I spent a day there at the end of August, learning how to start and stop the beam engines, stoke the boilers and drive a colliery winding engine. We also visited the underground resevoir with its incredible brick work.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  05:06:50  Show Profile

You now know how it goes. You spend a lot of time to no end on a given project, sit back and wait a while, maybe even shelve it, and then the pieces eventually start falling together themselves. Bingo!

The photo of the Royal Scot and the J2 started as I said in 2001. Yesterday, I started looking back through issues of the NAMMMR Newsletter. The saga ran through three issues, Spring, Summer and Fall of 2001. I'd forgotten that Chris Nowlan (misspelt, initially) had submitted two other photos of the car, in the Summer issue. He also listed pertinent extras fitted to the car. He writes;

",,early "paper clip & spring" type wiper arms, vacuum wiper motor, passenger seat foot ramp, original Dunlop Fort triple stud tyres, TF 201A pencil type tail lamp, etc...8,000 rpm rev counter, Bonora quick release petrol cap and Rad cap. Headlamp and rear wing stone guards. Door top guards and what appear to be Q-type brake drums."

Then the lovely photo of the dash in all its splendor, as shown

On the "excellent photos" he can identify the California plate as 3P 7931. But is not able to read the "Year tag" on the plate. This has only two possibilities as, I have discovered.
1932 was the first plate to have California written on the bottom of the plate. Previously it was abbreviated, CAL. The 1932 issue was a yellow background colour. 1933 being black. (These two colours alternated each year). The 1933 plate was Black and read as shown in this photo.

Then on to Mike's posting regarding the "The Gay Divorcee" movie. Two minutes later I'm watching the clip on You-tube. That's where the BINGO comes in to the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0uHlvPdwrU

You get a good view of the dash, especially if you pause the clip.
The Bugatti isn't bad either. How about the dapper manner Fred gets out of the car on the left side?

Thanks, Mike for my Christmas present. As a matter of interest the movie was released on October 12th, 1934.

It's been written numerous times that this website is wonderful. Not only that, it's Bloody MaGic!

Now, where's the damn car?????????????

Nice one, guys.

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 28/12/2009 05:13:07
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  11:54:58  Show Profile
Hi Brian and all

What a lovely car the J2 looks- especially the dashboard with all those extra instruments!

I wonder were those door top guards a readily obtainable extra? I have a pair identical to those shown but cannot recall where I got them. I was thinking of fitting them to L2023.

With regard to steam engines Hook Norton Brewery own a steam engine which is still used today - www.hooknortonbrewery.co.uk

Happy New Year to all

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 28/12/2009 11:56:37
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  12:18:35  Show Profile
Thanks Brian for the info. I didn't know about the clip and after watching it ( I wonder what Ginger was driving) I drifted on the web site to "Night and Day",the long version (the one that is 4 minutes 17 seconds) showing Fred singing then dancing with Ginger to Night and Day. Like our cars, they don't make them this way anymore, they reached perfection in 1934.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000