Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mystery mechanic at the 1933 TT - bad news!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  17:43:13  Show Profile
I spent a very pleasant couple of hours this morning browsing the Belfast Telegraph and the Belfast Newsletter archives for information about the mystery mechanic who rode with Hammy Hamilton in the 1933 TT. But sadly, there is only one reference to him, and that is the well known photograph of the two of them sitting on the J4 after the race where he is referred to simply as "the mechanic"! But I guess since Alec Hounslow (Nuvolari's riding mechanic) doesn't get a mention either, we mustn't read too much into the lack of name for Hammy's mechanic.

It would seem that the riding mechanics were simply considered to be the hired help and not worthy of mention. The only one who did get named was the poor chap who got killed in an MG in practice.

But from reading the contemporary reports in the local papers it was clear that there was quite a social gathering in Northern Ireland in the week between Craigantlet on 25 August and the TT on 2nd September. The photo below is of a house party at Mountstewart House, hosted by the Marquis and Marchioness of Londonderry with Ramsay Macdonald (the British Prime Minister at the time), Lord and Lady Hailsham, and the wife of the Swiss Minister in London in attendance. Not surprising, I guess, that the poor old riding mechanics didn't get a mention in the newspapers!

There was also a Rally of some sort in the week before the race, and a Concours d'Elegance. The style of the ladies in the photo below is a far cry from what would be considered acceptable nowadays!

Truly, a different world.

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  20:50:16  Show Profile
Colin B brought it to my attention that the boy in the first picture, taken a year earlier, might be the same as our 1933 mechanic in the second picture. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Cat

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  21:03:37  Show Profile
Maybe, maybe not (he said helpfully). Any idea who the chap is in 1932? Is there a connection to the Hamilton family as has been suggested from time to time?

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/11/2013 21:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  21:46:59  Show Profile
None whatsoever, I'm afraid. The photograph comes from Gardner's personal albums which he had made up after the 1932 race. This one follows some pictures of Gardner and Hamilton signing autographs and the caption reads 'Cyril (Paul) at it this time'. I always presumed the boy -albeit a little older than the others- was asking for an autograph, not handing them out, but it could well be the other way round, I don't know.
I do agree with those who say there is a similarity, but I'm just not sure. And it wouldn't really get us anywhere either as this chap is nameless too!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000