Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Hill Climb
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mgva

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2023 :  20:10:12  Show Profile
Thanks Ray
Brian passed three years ago. This is Brian"s PA that I have. I am trying to fill in more of Brian's details. I would like to do some writing about the car and Brian
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2023 :  22:13:59  Show Profile
Hello, Colin.
Thanks for your information and pointing out the picture of Dennis’s was Mill Lane.
Could you confirm that Mill Lane and Nailsworth were two entirely different venues?
Obviously, I need to do more research on the subject!
Regards,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2023 :  22:46:47  Show Profile
Sorry Dennis, I didn't know.

You may have seen - some time ago - my request for information regarding my late Father's M Type UW 5990. It was suggested that the driver of that car photographed in the 1950 Bisley trials could be G.J. Rea... but I am not convinced. Why would someone who had previously trialed new cars enter a 20 year old model which was clearly uncompetitive and well past it's best? Also, the photo of Rea and Wathes in an M type in the '34 Colmore trial makes no allowance for the passing of 16 years. He would have aged!!

I hope you are enjoying the PA.

Ray.

R. White

Edited by - Ray White on 12/07/2023 22:51:31
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1483 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2023 :  11:13:00  Show Profile
Chris. The two hills are several miles apart. Nailsworth Ladder starts from the outskirts of Nailsworth village (or maybe "little town") and zig-zags up onto Minchinhampton common. The Ladder itself comprises the first "zig". I am told that the Ladder is a public road, and therefore you could try driving your double-decker bus up it - but I wouldn't advise it. As a trials hill, the Ladder is still in regular use and still presents a challenge, due mainly to a rather vicious step about two thirds of the way up. If you take it too slow, you will stall. Too fast and the car will leave the ground.

Mill Lane is at Prestwood on the outskirts of Cheltenham. As far as I am aware, it is no konger used for trials because the hill has washed away over the years and is now almost impassable for vehicles. You can walk it alright, but leave your bus at home. The wall at Mill Lane is on the driver's side and was low enough to provide a good seat for spectators. The hill at Nailsworth is on the passenger's side and is too high other than for the very fit.

Best wishes, Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2023 :  12:38:43  Show Profile
Thanks very much for your reply, Colin, I don’t think I will try it in a double decker bus! Just to clarify, in the picture of my car in The Sports Car it mentions Nailsworth but is the car actually pictured on Mill Lane?
Your help is much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Chris
AYT 197 is the Magnette as you know.

Edited by - Westbury on 13/07/2023 12:40:10
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1483 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  13:29:40  Show Profile
Hello Chris. I am sure that Mr Day made a very fine climb of Nailsworth Ladder on the trial pictured in The Sports Car Magazine, but the picture of AYT 197 is of the car on Mill Lane at Prestwood. Mill Lane features a deep gully with steep banks on both sides, and the low wall (ideal for sitting on) on the right-hand side. The Ladder is every bit as steep but is wider and flatter with a high wall on the left-hand side which is much too high for most people to sit on. There is quite a wide flat area between the wall and the track which is usually filled by three or four rows of spectators. Both very interesting hills, but all of the pictures shown in this thread are of Mill Lane, not The Ladder. It is disappointing the the house magazine of the MGCC should contain such errors or ambiguities, but I am afraid that it happened quite frequently.

Best wishes, Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  18:11:05  Show Profile
Hello, Colin.
Many thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated!
Best wishes,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  18:55:47  Show Profile
Chris, in the current Triple-M Yearbook (copies available from the Librarian!), the first photograph illustrating the 2022 Competition Report is Bill Bennett in FW3909 climbing Nailsworth Ladder. He was participating in the 2022 Cotswold Clouds Trial.
The top of the photo shows the high wall to which Colin refers, and Bill was keeping to the left to avoid the notorious step.
The Nailsworth wall shows more clearly in this period picture of Hasendonck in MG4385.

We walked Mill Lane about 25 years ago, and it is definitely no longer in use. My photo was taken a bit further up than those illustrating this topic.
John R

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6013 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  19:15:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

It is disappointing the the house magazine of the MGCC should contain such errors or ambiguities, but I am afraid that it happened quite frequently.

Colin,
If by 'house magazine', you mean Safety Fast!, I don’t think it has been referenced in this discussion, or have I missed it?

Simon J
J3437
P.S. Good to see you at Pre War Prescott on Saturday.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/07/2023 19:16:27
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  19:24:33  Show Profile

Hello, Simon.
This is the magazine referred to by Colin and was produced during the 1930s. This example is from January, 1936.
Chris

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  19:27:39  Show Profile

Hello, John.
Many thanks for your information, I have the Yearbook and will look it up this evening after a couple of hours work on my N type!
Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6013 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  19:41:41  Show Profile
Thanks, Chris, but was The Sportscar ever the house magazine of the MG Car Club?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  19:46:47  Show Profile
Yes it was, Simon.
Please see attached picture.
Regards,
Chris
[
br]
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6013 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2023 :  21:38:34  Show Profile
Many thanks, Chris, I wasn’t aware of that.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2023 :  20:55:29  Show Profile
Up to a few weeks ago I had quite a lot on the Abingdon to Abingdon Trials from 1932 to 1939.
I was collecting all the entry lists and 'marrying' photos of registration numbers with the entry number, then completing details of the drivers where they lived and wife details.
Unfortunately I was 'hacked' and it was all deleted!!
However, I am attempting to revive it all again so that it can be put on the MMM forum at some stage.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000