Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New Facebook post
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  13:47:31  Show Profile
Today's 'Throwback Thursday' pic on the Register's Facebook page:

The accompanying text:
"Only a tiny pic of a Triple-M model on this Thursday's throwback cover, but still a Triple-M, so worth a share! Anyone any idea as to the chassis number of this lovely special bodied and supercharged J-type or where it is now?"

Thought I'd pose the question to all you non Facebookers as well. I'm sure I've seen pics of this car before, but where and when and why and how? By the way, I'm not sure if the spelling of Andy's last name is indeed correct.

kimber

United Kingdom
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  14:40:34  Show Profile
That was quite a quick car and a good driver as I remember.
Go to Top of Page

nigel stroud

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  20:19:07  Show Profile
I have spoken to Andy who remembers the race at Brands.
The CAR was owned by an Edward Dermot Reynolds of St Albans who also had an L type saloon.
He thinks the car went to America.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  08:21:09  Show Profile
I don’t have the programme for the Silverstone meeting in 1976 but the one for 1975 lists Andy as driving a J4 with an engine capacity of 847 ccs. I think it was a car in the style of a J4 !.
I remember both Dermot Reynolds and Andy well . Andy usually drove a single seater N type special which was very well built , carried a few modifications and was very quick. I believe he worked for one of the F1 teams of the day ( Shadow ?) . He later went onto racing Touring Cars but that’s another story.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  09:20:39  Show Profile
I remember meeting Dermot in the early 1970s at the natter at London Colney (now a McDonalds!) and seeing this car. The car seemed very well made and went very well but my recollection is that it was not a copy of a J4. I was familiar at the time with Geoff Coles' red J4 (as it was then known) and Dermot's car differed quite considerably at the rear end which seemed to be bigger and chunkier than the original J type.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  10:57:53  Show Profile
At one stage, Dermot Reynolds also owned one of the "Dancing Daughters" PAs which he also sold to America. As Keith says, the J2 Special rear-end was certainly bigger and chunkier than the standard J2. I can still recall seeing Dermot hunched over the steering wheel.

Colin B

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 03/04/2020 11:00:07
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:03:29  Show Profile
Here's Geoff's red "J4" at Penshurst, I think in 1973.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:26:11  Show Profile
I also remember seeing Dermot Reynolds racing his J based special - it might have has a P engine? Dermot was a very quick driver and the car was always reliable.

I believe Dermot suffered from a very bad back and this could be why he lent the car to Andy McLennan (Spelling?). Andy was also a very quick driver who owned and raced an N type lightweight special, he would come round Woodcote at an amazing speed and right at the limit of adhesion! Great to watch.

I believe the N went to Tony Dolton? Tony or Mark could verify this. I think there was some question as to chassis number?

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:26:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

I also remember seeing Dermot Reynolds racing his J based special - it might have had a P engine? Dermot was a very quick driver and the car was always reliable.

I believe Dermot suffered from a very bad back and this could be why he lent the car to Andy McLennan (Spelling?). Andy was also a very quick driver who owned and raced an N type lightweight special, he would come round Woodcote at an amazing speed and right at the limit of adhesion! Great to watch.

I believe the N went to Tony Dolton? Tony or Mark could verify this. I think there was some question as to chassis number? A photo of the N would be nice.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

Edited by - George Eagle on 03/04/2020 11:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:35:28  Show Profile
With apologies for topic drift but how nice to see a photo of Geoff Coles in his car. Geoff, like Dermot, also had a very memorable driving stance and was very quick. I well remember how he used to urge his car on by rocking his body back and forth in a very distinctive way. I used to marshall at Brands Hatch back in the day and was enthralled by Geoff in his tiny engined car regularly outwitting and beating much larger engined and frequently more modern machinery at the MG Car Club meetings. Happy days.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  12:05:48  Show Profile
Dermot Reynolds J Type was J3295. It went to Australia in the early 80s I think.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  12:44:06  Show Profile
Yup Andy’s N went to Dad who raced it for number of years. Debatable identification, probably after front end replaced after road accident before being made into a race special in 60s. now actively used in Switzerland. Seriously Quick!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  15:10:54  Show Profile
Sorry to say that little of the above tells the whole story and the following is just the tip of a large iceberg. The fact is that this car was a copy of Geoff Coles blue car with the drawings made by me in Geoff's garage, this was late 1970. The chassis was restored by me in the midlands and the rest of the car built by me in Salisbury as a house move took place at this time.
Some of the parts were contributed by Ted (Dermot) Reynolds and he painted it in my back garden in the frost.
I am in conversation with Cat Spoelstra and this might result in more of the story coming out.

Roger
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000