Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Untidy parking in Bangor ...
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2020 :  09:44:13  Show Profile
I actually know who this is - the first photo turned up at Autosport over the weekend for identification and took only a little time to track down - but I figured it might interest and/or amuse ...

The driver 'getting it wrong' is Walter Furey in the 1935 County Down Trophy. As the Irish Times put it: "HW Furey, 1287cc MG Magnette, slid into the sandbags on the front at Bangor and damaged his steering ..."

I assume this is his ND/NE hybrid?

The lady in the grocer's shop doorway looks distinctly unimpressed ...

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2020 :  10:08:18  Show Profile
And this is the 'prequel' with Walter Furey's car at scrutineering.

According to Mike Allison, it’s thought to be NA0515, i.e. the car immediately before the run of NEs, with an NE engine and registration number CZ6872. It possibly went to Scotland but by all accounts nothing is known of it today.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/09/2020 10:08:54
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2020 :  10:28:28  Show Profile
Thanks, Simon.

Love the Bass advert in the background! Presumably their riposte to 'Guinness is Good For You'!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2020 :  10:39:32  Show Profile
It’s a lovely photo, isn’t it. The stylish lady and her daughter are the grandmother and mother of the chap who sent it to me. I posted a picture of the start of the race here - https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18280 - and it was of course won by Malcolm Fleming in PA0456

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000