Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J2 Production - the Body Track
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  21:37:01  Show Profile
Very interesting, thanks to those who posted the photos.
In the photo with all the seats stacked up in the background (they are becnh seatbacks with the bases facing the other way, deep to narrow and vice versa) you can see that they weren't finished to a particularly high standard as the rexine is creased at the sides. They didn't pull them tight enough and everything was attached with tacks back then using a magnetic tack hammer instead of an air powered staple gun which gives much better results now as you use the head of the gun to hold/weight the material in place. I and many trimmers still use tacks but I only use them when the head of the tack is seen or gives a better finish, otherwise it's staples all the way.

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 28/12/2017 21:43:23
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  09:47:10  Show Profile
James, what do you make of this detail?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Joe S

Switzerland
22 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  11:30:08  Show Profile
This may be a leap in the dark, but could this be the 1000th J2 and this chap is adding the number to the side of the hood or the tonneau? Just a thought. It would be a milestone to get a photographer in for.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  12:40:21  Show Profile
Judging by the relocated SU pump, they’re at at least J3591 so we’ll past the 1000th car!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  13:36:33  Show Profile
Blxxdy autocorrect - that’d be ‘well past the 1000th car’

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  14:34:32  Show Profile
I don't know but he is using something very thick to make those kind of marks, that is no white chinagraph pencil and if it is tailors chalk then he's using a bloomin' great brick of it :-)
I honestly don't know, adds to the mystery.

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 29/12/2017 14:35:01
Go to Top of Page

Hugh

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  20:50:57  Show Profile
Simon
Possibly the 1,500th car?

Hugh
J3091
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  21:44:42  Show Profile

I am going to stick my neck out and go with John Cooper's back window theory. I feel sure I have seen something exactly like this somewhere before but I cannot recollect where.

But of course (as John Cooper has mentioned) such panels appeared in roofs of the same period. Their success is probably well reflected by their popularity.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  21:53:15  Show Profile
I thought it was a strange rear window design but in these enlarged crops it's clearly either not the back of the hood/top or the bottom right edge is folded up. If it's the latter, it cannot be a window pattern as it's well off center to the right.

Simon, clearly the brake drum fin polisher is further down the line and the worker did a superb job on mine, I must say. Foreseeing the future problems, mine was also fitted with stronger 8" cast aluminum backing plates, and he went well overboard by polishing those - likely while waiting for the black paint to dry on the trimmed bonnet panels.

tommm in COLD Ohio....
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  22:36:39  Show Profile
Cast Ali 8" back plates, now there's a rare thing! #128526;
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2017 :  22:46:44  Show Profile
It certainly doesn't seem to me to be the rear of the hood. Immediately below the odd markings there seems to be a finished edge and the only place there could be a finished edge with no Lift The Dot fasteners would be around the door opening. The way the material lies away from the edging would suggest that it's the section of the hood behind the driver rather than the roof, i.e. the rear 'quarter panel'. Also, the zeroes, if that's what they are, seem to be increasing in size from right to left which wouldn't suggest a number, but might be consistent with some sort of window lights? All very odd.

Tommm, I'm with you on the alloy fin polisher!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  15:28:15  Show Profile
I agree a number would have zeros all the same size. I can only see two 'zeros' clearly so
I guess a small outer zero each side and some large ones in the centre (if it is a rear window).

................ 00000.........................

I appreciate metal framed celluloid panels are of course at best a dubious idea.

On the other hand a fully buttoned up hood with side panels in place creates major blind spots.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Hugh

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  18:04:30  Show Profile
Surely marking out to make a window would be done in another workshop, not on the production line. Where as a production number would more likely be done on the line when the specific vehicle was being completed.

Hugh
J3091
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  19:29:43  Show Profile
Carpet for the tunnel ?

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  21:29:30  Show Profile
Brian may be on to it. Possibly carpet flaps over gearbox with the LTD fasteners toward the front, but it doesn't explain why the worker is drawing white underneath, unless it's Halloween. BOO?

Tommm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000