Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Removal of cars from database
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  09:13:53  Show Profile
Could 'the powers that be' explain why cars seem to disappear from the database? In my query about F0668 - see https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19343 - I couldn’t at first find it in the online listing (I did eventually )but the car is/was well known and was apparently sold in 2017. George Eagle told me that since the current owner wasn’t known it was removed from the listing, but why? The online listing doesn’t give names in any event and the omission of the car would suggest to anyone interested in the car that it no longer exists when the fact that it was once in the Register - as recently as 2017 - would suggest that it does.

So what’s the point of the online listing?

Simon J
J3437

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  09:43:49  Show Profile
Hi Simon - it's to do with the way that the database works. The information is provided using (I suppose) SQL which is joining tables together using indexes. If there isn't any row with the index in one of the tables that it is trying to join, the query returns no data. To make this work would require an 'outer join'. Be assured that the cars are safely on the register!

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  10:11:07  Show Profile
Thanks, Barny, but this seems to be a case of 'the computer says no'. The question then is, why does the computer say no? Is it because the index says 'owner not known'? And if so, why is the database structured to then supposedly hide the relevant page? Of what relevance is it to the Register listing if the owner isn’t currently known? In the case of the F1 I referred to, the car was alive and well up until at least 2017 so a system that now ignores it because the owner isn’t known seems strange. We had this same situation with K3015 when it disappeared, apparently because the owner wasn’t known., yet the car was alive and well (and up for sale).

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 19/02/2021 10:11:23
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
423 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  10:44:04  Show Profile
Interesting

I thought that the register was a register of cars not owners?
Keep safe

Sven
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  10:53:32  Show Profile
Simon, it's just a technical limitation of the query that presents the information in the database to the screen. A 'glitch' if you like. It isn't anything deliberate and doesn't reflect any policy or anything like that. There is no relevance to the register listing if the owner is not known. Cars without known owners that are registered remain on the register. Certainly this can go on our list of IT enhancements for our volunteer IT guru's to look at.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  11:48:26  Show Profile
Thanks again, Barny. I think it would be good if this anomaly could be removed as otherwise it looks as though the public facing database is being 'managed' in some way. Of course all this information about cars shouldn’t be freely available to any passing Tom, Dick, or Harry anyway, but that’s another story.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 19/02/2021 11:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  12:36:11  Show Profile
P.S. This is, of course, also carried over to the printed Register which is presumably generated from the 'public' pages of the database? Luckily, however, the cross referencing between registration numbers and chassis numbers remained untouched!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2021 :  13:23:07  Show Profile
Simon/all

The confidential and secure Register database of cars and their owners is the prime source of information for what gets printed in the ocasional - usually annual - Listing of Cars.

Much of the info displayed on the 'general .org' Register website is similarly derived, although it represents a mere fraction of all of the data held by the Register.

As we have mentioned regularly over the past few years, if any Member wishes to be able to access the database to view and propose changes to the record of their personal data and details of any car then currently owned by the Member, and likewise to upload images and documents to the database, all this is possible - just contact the writer so that this can be arranged!

To reassure all readers - access allowed to Members is strictly confined to them and their cars. A Member cannot see anybody else's data!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000